Wise as Serpents
“pertaining to understanding resulting from insight and wisdom” (Louw and Nida).
- It is the same word used in Matthew 7:24 and Luke 16:8.
- The parable of the unjust steward is the closest parallel to what Jesus is talking about in Matthew 10:16.
Harmless as Doves
“Without any mixture of deceit, without any defiling material” (The Complete Word Study Dictionary).
“pertaining to being without a mixture of evil and hence to being pure – pure, untainted” (Louw and Nida).
Romans 16:19; Philippians 2:14-16
Jesus as Serpent and Dove
- When Dishonestly Questioned (Mark 11:27-30).
- When Set Up for a Trap (Mark 12:13-17).
- When Debated Over His Doctrine (Mark 12:18-27).
Ground Yourself in the Life of Christ
Join Norm’s Notes on Locals for the upcoming book, “Norm’s Notes on the Life of Christ”
- Part 1: Harmony of the Gospels Study Guide
- 52 Weekly Lessons for a one-year study through the Gospels.
- Unified Paraphrase of the Gospels.
- Study Questions for each lesson.
- Part 2: Harmony of the Gospels Teacher’s Guide
- Exhaustive answers to all the study questions.
- Suggested questions for class discussion.
- Study question answers linked to the sermons and articles in part 3.
- Part 3: A Year of Sermons and Articles in the Gospels
- Each week of my study through the gospels includes a Bible class lesson, a bulletin article, and two sermons.
- The full lessons and articles, with video, referenced in the study questions from part 2.
Leave a Reply